Lord of the Rings
director of photography
Add a new title
Best commentary tracks (top 100)
Worst commentary tracks
Browse all titles
Triumph of the Will
This is only on the Synapse Films special edition.
Commentaries on this disc:
Historian Dr. Anthony R. Santaro
Rating:6.4/10 (5 votes) [
to vote or review
Reviewed by pat00139 on March 10th, 2006
Find all reviews by pat00139
This could have been a lot more interesting. For around 95% of the time, Mr. Santoro is just dictating what’s on the screen. It did, however, clear up a few questions I had after the first viewing. The other 5%, though, is great. I especially enjoyed hearing about what happened to all of the high officials from the German government featured in the movie. A few died under mysterious circumstances, many died by suicide, and many were hung during the Nuremberg trials.
Reviewed by badge on February 18th, 2015
Find all reviews by badge
Normally "film historians" are called upon for commentaries of older films, but this time we get a political historian, and Santaro really knows his stuff. The results are enlightening to say the least, and while it's true that Santaro does narrate what is happening on the screen quite a bit, this is one occasion where I don't mind: two hours of speeches and marches become a blur pretty quickly and it's helpful to have someone spelling out exactly who is doing what, and why. Because of the sameness of the material, it's quite a feat to be able to talk non-stop throughout the whole film - I could easily see the 'commentary track' being switched to become the main audio track of the film.
© 2004-2015 ratethatcommentary.com. All rights reserved.